Menu

The Curry Recipe that inspired an idea


A few years ago I was part of a community group and it was there that I met Shane.
We hit it off straight away - We both had some crazy stories from our youth and we both loved a laugh. Shane got to know my husband and kids and it was a great friendship.
At the community group, Shane was known best for his curry!
Once a month he would cook a batch and bring it along after our monthly meeting.
I was pretty quick to ask him for the recipe and he was glad to share it as it had been shared with him many years ago.
He lived in London in the early 2000's and shared a house with a crazy pub cook who could cook a mean curry!
In Britain a pub curry is a almost as famous as Bangers and Mash.

This curry tasted great....BUT there was thing that bugged me.
Almost every ingredient was a spice and all in increments of teaspoons or tablespoons.....Now How many times have you tried to get a measuring spoon into a narrow spice jar?? Yep it is impossible and you either try and tip a spice into the spoon and spill most of it on the bench or you just guess at the measurements.
So this damn curry got me looking for another way to get my spice measurements on a spoon...And I found a set of measuring spoons that fit into a narrow spice jar....And that is how Cooking Gods came about.
And this is a link to get yourself a set of Measuring Cups and Spoons that will change your cooking!




Now for Shane's Chicken Curry Recipe


1kg (2 Lbs) Chicken thigh pieces
2 onions diced
1/2 Tin of diced tomatoes ( a tin is 400g or 14oz)
1/2 TBSP Minced Ginger
1/2 TBSP Minced Garlic
1 TBSP Ground Coriander ( Cilentro)
1/2 TBSP Garam Masala
1/2 TBSP Tumeric
4 Cloves (or 1/2 TSP Ground Cloves)
1/2 TSP Cinnamon
1 TBSP Salt (Don't skimp on the salt...without it the recipe does not work taste wise)

1/2 TBSP little oil or butter till golden in deep frypan or pot
Add ginger and garlic and sauté with the onions
Add tomatoes
Add all the spices and salt
Make into a paste and then add the diced chicken ( Now it looks pretty dry but worry)
Put a lid on the pan or pot and simmer on a very low heat for an hour.
I sometime put it into the oven on a very low heat for 1 to 2 hours
Serve with Rice
* I often double this recipe so I can use I tin of tomatoes instead of half a tin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Author

author Hello to all and thank you for visiting our page! I have always enjoyed cooking for my family and special occasions...
Learn More →



Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *